When Hedi Slimane released his new vision for Saint Laurent Paris, he brought the winds of LA’s dusky sirens with him. Now he summons a new one – Sky Ferreira, the 20-year-old singer and former face of Calvin Klein – to star in his Pre-Fall lookbook.
We’ve become slightly obsessed with the witchy makeup in the shoot, and spent some time in our Beauty Closet trying to emulate it. The one thing we discovered? Though Ferreira looks devastatingly chic with smudged kohl rimming her entire eye – and some of the bottom eyelid, too – it’s not the easiest look if you’re not blessed with Sky’s face and Slimane’s clothes.
As for the creamy-skin-dark-lip combo that’s the base of this look, it’s fun to apply and even more fun to wear. Here’s how…
1. Prep skin with Skin Illusion foundation. This creates a clean slate for your face, which will help make your lip color pop.
2. Apply black liquid eyeliner, cat-eye style, to your upper lid only. Start at the inner corner of your eye and lead your brush all the way past your outer corner. If you have high cheek bones, it’s okay if your line touches the very top of them.
3. Accent eyelashes with mascara. If you’re using Instant Definition Mascara, use the full part of the brush for your top lashes, and the thinner tip to coat each bottom lash individually.
4. Line your lips with a very dark pencil, like Lip Definer 02 Ruby. Color them in completely with the pencil. (If you want to define the arches of your lips a little more, you can do that, too.)
5. Apply a deep red lip color over the lip pencil for more depth and intensity – a key to this beauty look. Ours is Rouge Prodige 131 in Passion Rose, and we like it a lot.
And your makeup’s complete. As for the clothes, Barneys just got their first-ever Saint Laurent shipment into the store – see what they’ve got online!